Friday, August 3, 2012

Zucchata Frittini

The Master Gardeners had zucchini themed snacks at a recent tour of Zenger Farms and I decided to make a zucchini frittata. I followed my basic formula for a greens frittata but without the leafy greens. I also though they would make better finger food if I made them in a rectangular pyrex pan rather than the round pie pan I usually use. I liked how that worked out.



Recipe:

  • sauté some onions in olive oil and butter
  • once they start to soften add four chopped zucchini
  • cover with a lid to steam for a while until zucchini softens, then remove lid and continue to sauté
  • add a couple tablespoons of BBQ sauce (secret ingredient -- shh! don't tell)
  • Meanwhile, butter pan well (I used a good tablespoon of butter)
  • Sprinkle a goodly amount of hazlenut meal in the pan and shake about until the butter is nicely coated. I think I used about 1/3 cup, but I don't measure such things
  • Pour in the zucchini/onion/BBQ mix
  • Sprinkle with a little crumbled cheese (I used smoked cheddar)
  • Cover with some blanched broccoli
  • Cover with some julienned, roasted beets
  • Cover with grated hard cheese, I used parmesan 
  • Meanwhile, mix 8 eggs, 1/4 cup half-and-half, 1 Tbs flour (I used potato flour to keep it gluten free), and some spice (I used Powder Forte)
  • Pour egg mixture over vegetable mixture
  • Cover with almond meal (I used about 1/4 cup run through a sifter to keep it from being clumpy)
Bake at 350.

I check at 25 minute and pull it out when the internal temperature reaches 180.
(Though in this case I got distracted and didn't get it out until it had reached 205
but that still seemed to be this side of disaster!) If it doesn't heat through it won't set up or will take a very long time to do so. 

One way or another, it was all eaten. 

I have really been enjoying the trifecta of zucchini, onions, and BBQ sauce. The onions give the zucchini some flavor, the zucchini helps make sure the onions don't burn. The long sauté helps cook some of the moisture out of the zucchini, and the BBQ sauce just seems to add a nice savory note. 

No comments:

Post a Comment