Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Sweet Potato with Banana Casserole

One trick of my new pantry system is that some ingredients can pile up as my menu mix shifts. Sharon found a good recipe to use up some canned sweet potatoes as well as some bananas that were aging on the counter.

I drained one big can and two little cans of sweet potato which made for 2.5 pounds. These I smashed with a potato smasher.

In a bowl, I beat two eggs, 1/3 cup orange juice, 1/2 cup brown sugar, some spices--1/2 tsp nutmeg and 1 tsp powder forte (for cinnamon), and 3 Tbs of melted butter. This was mixed into the mash.
I diced two bananas and folded them in at the end (if they were over-ripe, I'd have mashed them).

I poured the goop into a buttered casserole dish.

I opted for the pecan crumble topping:
Mix 1/2 cup each of brown sugar, flour, chopped pecans, with 4 Tbs of butter. Then crumble over the top.
Cover with foil, then bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes covered followed by 10 minutes uncovered.

It looked nice in the dish, but didn't serve up very elegantly with a spatula. Next time I might try serving with a large scoop. It would definitely be nice to have something deep green to serve alongside.

The banana worked well in the flavor/texture profile. I could pick out the taste, but it blended in well, certainly better than I initially expected. Would make a nice side dish for a party where you want to change things up a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment