Sunday, August 2, 2015

Mild peach salsa

My previous attempt at peach salsa turned out a little spicy for my wife, so this go around I set out to make something more on the Mild Side. And I think I pulled it off.

Recipe came from pickyourown.org and I mostly followed it.

Mix the following in a large pot:

  • 3 pounds of #2 heirloom tomatoes, blanched, shocked in ice bath, peeled, and diced
  • Two yellow onions chopped
  • two cups yellow, orange, and red bell peppers seeded and chopped fine
  • 10 cups of ripe peaches, blanched, shocked in ice bath, and peeled, and 1/2 inch diced
  •  1 Tbs canning salt (actually pickling salt, I'm not sure of the difference)
  • 5 Tbs pickling spices in tea ball (whole spices: coriander, mustard seeds, black pepper, cubebs, long pepper, grains of paradise, 2 cloves, crumbled stick cinnamon, crumbled bay leaf, some red pepper flakes)
  • 1 1/4 pound brown sugar (almost two boxes)
  • 2 1/4 cup cider vinegar 
  • 1 small can of diced roasted chile peppers, drained. 
Heat to boil, gently stirring. Reduce heat and simmer 30 mins. 

Then can with the standard hot water bath techniques. 


No comments:

Post a Comment