Friday, January 6, 2012

Saladpalooza -- return of the mixed greens

Time to make more salads. Here are some recent and some not-so-recent efforts...
I pan-fried some chicken to make a chicken salad with pecans and dried cranberries.

Growing up, salad was the natural accompaniment of pizza. It being Fall, I went with some chopped apple, ham, and walnuts.
Yesterday I got two pounds of greens from Grocery Outlet and so I am on the hook to get back into the salad groove in earnest. The first go was a turkey salad with bacon, slivered almonds, diced pickled beets, diced carrot and celery, feta, parmesan, and provolone.
Today I went with extra bacon, slivered almonds, diced pickled beets, diced carrot and celery, feta, parmesan, and sharp cheddar.
I like mine with a little ground long pepper, grains of paradise and coriander (or whatever peppery spices I lay my hands on first). I have become fond of slivered almond on or in the salad.
 Here I let the carrots play a little more prominent role by adding them late -- surely it wasn't that I almost forgot them. Just look at how nice they look.
 Salads with company get the good wedding china.

1 comment: