Friday, January 6, 2012

Spiced Peach in Orange Gelatine

One of my favorite recipes is for a spiced peach mold that calls for "orange-flavored gelatin". I was feeling a little too thrifty to spring good money for a box of gelatin, sugar, flavors, and preservatives. But I wasn't feeling like boiling bones, so I opted to combine this recipe with one for orange gelatin. I made some for our Christmas Feast which turned out well (once I figured out the right amount of gelatin to use).


Here is what I ended up with:
2 pkg unflavored gelatin
1 16 oz can sliced peaches, drained (reserve liquid)
2 Tbsp vinegar
1 1/2 tsp whole cloves
1 stick cinnamon

2 tsp grated orange zest
1 tsp grated lemon zest
1 3/4 cups orange juice
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 pinch salt



Bring to boil then simmer reserved peach liquid and enough water to make 1 cup, vinegar, spices, rind for 5 minutes.

Soak the gelatin in 1/4 cup cold water until it absorbs the water and expands (about 5 minutes).
Mix sugar, salt, orange juice, lemon juice, and expanded gelatine mixture.

Strain the boiling syrup mixture then mix with juice mixture.

Refrigerate to cool and start to thicken.

Mix in peaches and pour into mold.
Refrigerate covered until set (about half a day).
Loosen the edges with a knife, then invert on a plate for a nice presentation.


No comments:

Post a Comment