Saturday, November 10, 2012

Experimental semi-paleo Waffle recipe

Having tried a recipe for almond meal waffles that were only partially successful (didn't hold together well, and didn't have quite the right mouth feel), I decided to experiment today. My dear wife got me Cooking for Geeks and The Science of Good Food for my birthday, both of which I consulted for waffle wisdom. I also googled around a little.
My plan was to try half wheat flour / half almond meal, leaven by whipping the egg whites and yolks (seperately) and a pinch of baking soda / powder,  use bacon drippings for the fat and salt, and experiment a little with the liquid. When beating the egg whites I added a teaspoon of sugar per a suggestion I found online.
So, this is what I ended up with...

Waffles Vorax:

  • preheat oven to 250 degrees
  • separate 2 eggs
  • whip the whites with 1 tsp of sugar to stiff peaks, set aside
  • whip the yolks until bright yellow
  • whisk in 1/2 cup milk, 1/4 cup plain yogurt, 1/4 cup vodka
  • whisk a couple TBS of warm bacon drippings
  • sift together 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour, 1/4 tsp baking soda, 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • mix into the dry team 1/2 cup almond meal
  • mix the dry team into the wet team
  • fold in the reserved whipped egg white mixture
  • cook in waffle iron until browned
  • stage in a single layer in a 250 degree oven
The result was a light waffle that held together well, had a nice hint of crispiness on the outside. 
Next time: I might try mixing in a little buttermilk to the dairy mix. 

No comments:

Post a Comment