Tuesday, December 25, 2018

Peach Coffee Cake

Christmas Day I wanted to make coffee cake. Flipping though the King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking cookbook I saw a recipe for peach coffee cake that tempted me.

I didn't follow the recipe, but started with it.

I heated some dried cranberries in some orange liqueur  then added a large can of peaches, drained and coarsely diced.

In a bowl I sifted together

  • 2 1/2 Cup white whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking soda
In the mixer I creamed together:
  • 1 cube butter (1/2 cup)
  • 1 cup toasted sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
I set at the ready:
  • 1 cup whole milk (recipe called for buttermilk)
Added and mixed until combined 1/3 of the dry mix and 1/3 cup of the milk in turns.
Then folded in the Peach mixture just until mixed in.

Poured this into buttered 9x13 casserole dish. 

Topped with mixture of:
  • 2 tbs butter
  • 1/2 cup toasted sugar
  • 1 Tbs sweet spice mixture (in this case cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, grains of paradise, cubebs)
  • 1 drop sweet orange essential oil
Bake at 250 for 35 mins, then cool 20 mins on wire rack. 

Ended up with a fragrant, moist cake. 






No comments:

Post a Comment