Saturday, August 31, 2019

Noom: Elephant Dialogues--Anxiety

🐘 Elephant: We blew it! Weight loss is hard. We should give up. 😔
🕵️‍♀️ Observer: There is anxiety.
🏇 Rider: Take a deep breath, we know how to deal with anxiety, and we know how to burn off the weight, we've done it before.
🐘: But I RUINED it! ☹️
🕵️‍♀️: There is sadness.
🏇: It's no big deal. You can be sad, you liked having burned all the weight. Now we get to do some more.
🐘: We should EAT. ALL. THE. THINGS. today. We already blew it. 😟
🕵️‍♀️: There is all-or-nothing thinking.
🏇: How about we stick with the things that worked for us before?
🐘: OK. Let's skip eating, and go for a double-long walk. 😬
🕵️‍♀️: There is all-or-nothing thinking.
🏇: I like your spirit, but let's do the simple things we do every morning. Time to do Tai Chi.
🐘: OK. But we got up late. The morning is ruined. ☹️
🕵️‍♀️: There is catastrophizing.
🏇: We don't need to fix everything all at once. We just need to do the next thing on the list. What's the next thing we do every morning?
🐘: Weigh in. I don't want to know. It's going to be bad. I AM BAD. 😬
🕵️‍♀️: There is fortune-telling.
🏇: It is just a number. It will tell us where we are. And we get to update the graph.
🐘: ⚖️ ACK! We are up, A LOT. We ruined our goal. 😟
🕵️‍♀️: There is blame and shame.
🏇: Remember, we anticipated this. We know how to Noom. We got this!
🐘: What's for breakfast? 😋
🏇: We can have a breakfast sausage, eggs, carrots, and potatoes. We need to do a good job logging today. How does that sound?
🐘: Mm. Sausage. 😋
🏇: Great. Now let's meditate and do our yoga, then we can go make breakfast.
🐘: I don't feel like sitting. 😐
🏇: That's ok. You don't need to feel like it. You just need to do it.
🐘: 🧘‍♂️

Backstory: The previous day was an "oops". After walking 16K steps for a thing downtown, I got home hungry, and did my weekly big cook which got me in a cycle or cook a little, eat a little, cook a little, eat a little, .... 
But I still had meals and dessert. 
Then I stayed up late (6 hours later than usual) to watch a live event. I kept snacking on dark chocolate that was my go-to treat for this sort of event.
Good news: I only had one block—‒at a time (3 is a serving). 
Bad news: over six hours I had six blocks. 
So today, I was up (after getting up late) above my 50-pound milestone weight. I could feel the anxiety come on.

No comments:

Post a Comment