Thursday, June 27, 2013

Thumbprint cookies

After making some wonderful strawberry apricot jam, I wanted to broaden my repertoire of JDV (Jam Delivery Vehicles). In particular I have never made thumbprint cookies before.

The very idea of a thumbprint cookie makes me think of the 1950s. I'm not sure why.

So off to my 1950s Betty Crocker cookbook I go...
Ingredients
1/2 cup soft shortening (half butter)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg yolk (reserve white)
1/2 tsp. Vanilla extract
1 cup flour sifted
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup hazelnut meal (for coating)
Mix together shortening, sugar, yolk, and vanilla.
Sift the dry ingredients and stir in.
Form balls.
Roll in egg white, lightly whipped.
Roll in hazelnut meal.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Bake 5 minutes
Remove from oven and quickly press a thumb print into each cookie.
Return to oven for 8 more minutes.
Fill depressions with a little jam.

If only all depression could be cured with a little jam.

I put the leftovers in containers in the freezer. I really like having cookies in the freezer that I can pull out when company arrives, or to refill the "magic cookie jar" (as Sharon calls it). And I can attest that these held up well through the defrosting process. Oh, the scientific rigors I am willing to endure for you, my gentle reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment