Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Vorax Egg Muffin

A friend brought us some sourdough English muffins from the Bay Area. So, we had to come up with some special way to enjoy them. I had some leftover lunchmeat and cheese so I decided to make a breakfast sandwich.
This is not gluten-free, vegetarian, locavore, paleo, low-carb, low-fat, or raw food. But it is quite tasty and satisfying. And maybe every once in a while, life should just be tasty and satisfying.

First assemble the ingredients. Then realize you forgot the turkey after you took the picture. I had some nice pastrami from Grocery Outlet that were the ends from large deli rolls.



I pulled some cooked bacon from the freezer and reconstituted it with a couple Tbs of bacon drippings over medium heat.

Chop the bacon and reserve for later.

Put a couple slices of pastrami topped by a couple slices of turkey in the pan.
Sizzle. Sizzle.

The turkey was pretty thin, so I pulled it off, flipped the pastrami, then flipped the turkey leaving it on top. Got some nice browning on the pastrami.

Immediately after flipping, add a slice of cheese on top. I like pepper jack and swiss. Sharon likes cheddar. One reason I like dishes like this is that you can adjust them to taste.

I put about a Tbs of water in the lid, then put that into the pan as I put the lid on. Why do I do this?

I do this so that the cheese gets all melty in the steam without the food over-cooking. A trick I use in scrambles and cheese burgers as well.


If I had my act together I would have had the first halves of the English muffins toasted ready to receive these. But I didn't so I just put them on a plate while I waited for the toasting to finish.
I hate waiting.
Then I put them on muffin bottoms when they finished.
Cover with a plate to keep them warm. Think about flying saucers. What do aliens eat for breakfast? 

Put the upper halves in the toaster.
Meanwhile, combine eggs (1 per serving) with "some cream" (I never measure this) and some roasting salt.
Mix with a fork until well blended.

Shake the pan front to back vigorously while pouring in the mixture, then continue with the shaking while stirring with a spatula. Clean the sides a time or two, then back away

Sprinkle the reserved bacon over the top. (I should have done it a little sooner than what I have pictured while the egg hadn't completely set.)

Split and flip. 
Or, flip and split.
Your choice.
Fold the eggs over and put on the now-toasted upper muffin halves. 

Mess it forth. 

See also: The Jason Cristo

No comments:

Post a Comment