Thursday, April 10, 2014

Spring scramble: sausage potato spinach

My lady asked for potatoes and sausage. This is what I came up with. 
This time I pulled out my cast iron. I like the way it turned out. I often make something similar in stainless steel. So, to your own liking I suppose.
Steam quartered potatoes until tender.
Fry up sausage, chopped green onion in butter and bacon drippings. Add chopped apple, prepared potatoes, roasted carrots (previously frozen).
Set the oven on low heat 150ΒΊ-200ΒΊ F and put tortillas on an oven safe plate with another upside down on top as a cover.

 Meanwhile I mixed up some eggs, cream and almond meal and cooked it with the slow "on the heat / off the heat" method. Sometimes I add the eggs to the scramble directly but it makes a mess of the pan, so I thought I'd try starting them on the side.
On the heat until they look like they are just starting to cook, then off the heat until they settle down. Then back on, etc. Gently stirring the whole time.
 Pre-heat a little hazelnut liqueur (or whisky, or whatever high octane stuff you have).  Don't boil, just get good and warm.
 Put the scramble over high heat and really get it cooking. Add the liqueur and some flame. FIRE! Well, not so much fire in this case, more like: fire. Sometimes a get a fireball, sometime not. Still, I like what the liqueur does in deglazing the pan in place -- turning all the little charred bits in the pan into a lovely sauce. Cook this a little.
Add fresh (or frozen drained) spinach cover and steam a bit until it just starts to wilt. Add the eggs. Stir in to incorporate. Add whatever else you have on hand that sounds good. In my case, some artichoke tapenade. Season to taste.

Pull out your warm plates and tortillas. Cover with a spoonful of sour cream (or chutney or whatever mouthwatering goodness you have on hand). Dish up portions of scramble and roll into a breakfast burrito (if the portion is small enough) or serve open face and let people roll their own after they get to sample some with a fork.

Rinse the pan with water and clean the cast iron with salt and oil and a paper towel over generous heat. No soap, it ruins the seasoning.

No comments:

Post a Comment