Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Better than Store Bought Cookies

Here is a rather detailed account of my adaptation of the "Good as Store Bought Cookie" recipe from the King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion cookbook that Sharon calls "Better than Store Bought Cookies".

First blend in a food processor 2 1/2 cups oats, 8 oz of chocolate chips, and a quarter cup of cocoa nibs.
 You are looking for the oats to be pretty fine, but not quite flour. And the chocolate chips to be broken up into little pieces.
 I like to toast the nuts before cooking. This time I used a mixture of hazelnuts, almonds, walnuts, and pecans. Once the food processor is free of the oat mixture, I'll chop them up.

In the mixer, cream a cup of butter, the eggs (recipe calls for 2, but I tried 3 this time), 2 tsp vanilla, cup each of white and brown sugar.
 Whip it. Whip it good.
 Now the dry team: a cup each of white whole wheat and whole wheat pastry flour. A teaspoon each of baking soda, baking powder, and salt (for this kind of baking I usually use fine salt, normally I use Morton's).
 Mix them in.

Mix in the oat mixture.
Then the nuts.

Then mix in another

Put the cookies on a sheet 1/4 cup each.
Bake 12 minutes at 350.
Let them set 5 minutes, then cool on a wire rack.
Next Time: The extra eggs made the cookies softer, and perhaps made them flatten and spread a little more in the baking. I'm not sure this was really a feature. I added the egg because last time the dough seemed a little dry. Next time I'll go back to two eggs and just scrape down to the bottom of the bowl to make sure everything gets well mixed.

I think it might be better to use a single kind of nut rather than a blend. I have experimented with various ways of flattening and shaping the cookies. I kind of liked having them square so they fit  better in the storage containers I should have left them a little thicker than this batch turned out.

1 comment: