Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Sourdough Sandwich Rolls

Started another batch of Classic Sourdough Bread to use to make  more sandwich rolls. I actually started the sponge last night with a cup of starter and three cups of white whole wheat flour plus 3 T of wheat gluten and 1 1/2 cup warm water. This morning I added two more cups of flour, 1 T each of sugar, salt, and orange juice. 
After kneading in the stand mixer it is resting. Next I will divide it into eight parts and form them into balls. They get to rise again in the pan on the silicone mat. We'll see if I can remember to slit the tops before they go in the oven this time. 
The photos are from the last batch I made. Since the recipe is for two loaves, I bake until the internal temp is 190 and I have some nice browning.
I haven't tried doing anything to raise the humidity in the oven while they bake. This time, I may try putting in a pan with boiling water on the rack under the baking pan.
To make a sandwich I like to slice the rolls in half put lunch meats on each half topped with a slice of cheese. Then place this under the broiler for 2 minutes. After the cheese just starts to brown I pull it out and add any bits that you wouldn't really want broiled. In this case, avocado and pickled green tomatoes. 
Update: new post with some results with adding steam to the oven.


No comments:

Post a Comment