Monday, November 21, 2011

Sourdough Coffee Cake

I started with a recipe I found online for sourdough coffee cake, but used whole wheat pastry flour in place of all purpose flour. I also added a diced apple and a quarter cup of hazelnut meal to the batter. I spiced the batter with nutmeg, galangal, orange extract, a splash of orange juice and a drop of orange oil.
For the topping I used 1 Tbs of butter and 1Tbs of sesame oil, spiced it with fresh ground cinnamon and salsa fina (fine spices), added a quarter cup of almond meal and then completely lost my mind and threw in a quarter cup of dutch process cocoa. I think I will regret that last move. Maybe a Tbs would have been interesting.

OK, after 35 minuted in a 350 degree oven it had an internal temperature of 190 degrees F, so I called it done. The topping came out very dark, but as predicted was a little bitter. Tasted a lot better with some French Vanilla Bean yogurt on top. The texture was pretty good if a little on the mealy side -- maybe too much pastry flour.

Sharon reported that the topping tasted better eaten on its own than it did with the cake. I tried this and have to agree.
Next Time: When I try this again, I would skip the chocolate (or maybe try 1 Tbs, but even that may just muddy the flavors). I did like the additions of the apples, and nut meals. So I think those are keepers. I might split the flour and go with half pastry flour and half white whole wheat. The orange, and spices were pretty subtle, but may come out more when not overwhelmed by the cocoa.

No comments:

Post a Comment