Tuesday, January 29, 2013

The 30-minute scrambled egg

In my reading through Cooking for Geeks, I have been inspired to do a lot of experimenting with eggs.

One technique that sounded interesting was for a 30-minute scrambled egg that ends up with the consistency of cream cheese. It took a couple tries to get it since care needs to be taken to keep the pan from going over 160 degrees (when the yolks start to form curds) but if you are much below that temperature it takes forever. So I ended up trying a couple different double boiler systems. Using a regular double boiler was easiest, but trying to clean it after was quite a chore. I like the setup best (pictured) with a small pan in a pan of water with an upside-down plate between.

Next time: In the end, I'm not sure it is worth the work, but I'll keep thinking about where I would use this as an ingredient in something else. Anything I make with cream cheese will be a tempting target.

No comments:

Post a Comment