Thursday, January 31, 2013

Apple Butter Thick German Pancake

When a Thin German Pancake just won't cut it, it is time to break out the thick german pancake.

The original recipe called for apples browned in butter and brown sugar.  I often make them with peaches. We don't have any apples at the moment, but do have the memories of applies ensconced as apple butter. So, with a healthy dose of "What could happen?" opened the apple butter and this is what happened ....




 While preheating my micro-convection oven to 450 I melted 1 Tbs of butter in a 12" skillet over medium heat. Into this I put a goodly glop of apple butter (maybe 2/3 cup?) and some brown sugar (maybe 1/4 cup?). While this was turning into warm goodness, I mixed the batter:

  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup half and half
  • 1/2 tsb salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup flower

Into a buttered 10" pyrex pan I poured the apple mixture.
Then I poured the batter all over.
And just to add a little nutty sweetness, I sprinkled 1/4 cup almond meal over the top (that will become the bottom).
And into the oven it went for 16 minutes.

When it comes out, use a knife around the edge to release. Then carefully, with hot pads, flip onto a plate (warmed if you remember to).

With whole fruit, it tends to release better than it did with the apple butter. But I just scooped out any sauce left in the pan and spread it out on top.

For a party these are nice divided in wedges.
For us, we just split one and call it good -- oh, so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment