Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Thin German Pancake

I make two different dishes that are each called a German Pancake, but are quite different. One is a thick cake, baked with fruit in the bottom and flipped when served. That is not what I am talking about today. Today I am talking about the thin cake that I used to love to get at Elmer's before a good friend gave me a lovely kit with the ingredients and a recipe so I could make one myself.

These are similar to the ones I blogged about in muffin tins last year.




Preheat oven to 475 (or 450 if you keep two pizza stones in it)
(We will lower to 425 when we actually bake)

Whisk together

  • 3 Eggs
  • 2/3 cup milk (I added a little cream today)
  • 2/3 cup Flour (I mix Bob's White Whole Wheat and Whole wheat pastry flour)
  • Pinch of Salt
  • Pinch of Fine Spices

Put 1 Tbs butter in each of two pyrex 9" pans.
Place in preheated oven for just a few minutes until butter melts.

Carefully remove and swirl butter. They don't look hot, but they are.


Pour in half of the batter into each.
Place in oven, reduce heat to 425. Bake for 16 minutes.




I used to be religious about eating these with
butter, then powdered sugar, the juice from a lemon.
This really is the best way to enjoy them.
But for some reason my desire for adventure causes me to continue to explore other treatments.

Today I mixed 2 Tbs each butter, apple butter, fig butter, and lemon juice (which for some inexplicable reason was from concentrate when I had a perfectly good lemon in reach -- go figure.)
I heated this syrup and poured it over the hot pancakes then dusted with powdered sugar.
Very tasty.



Sometimes they come out of the oven very pretty.

Sometimes not. But they still taste good.

No comments:

Post a Comment