Thursday, September 5, 2019

Noom it up: Burritos

Burritos have become a regular meal since I've been on Noom.

I usually make a batch of filling that is enough for 6-8 burritos. I'll make two burritos that day, and keep the filling to make meals on later days.

Burritos in Thee steps: 

Cook the Rice
Make the Filling
Assemble the burrito

Cook the rice: 

I use my instant pot. First I set it to sauté mode (makes it like an electric skillet, or you could just use the stove if you don't mind one more thing to wash).
put 1 Tbs of butter and 1 cup of uncooked rice (I use short grain brown rice)
Optional: add some diced onions
Toast, stirring occasionally, until fragrant. 3-5 minutes.
Add two cups stock (I use home made chicken stock)
Set to rice mode (cooks for 10 minutes under pressure).
After the pressure is released, stir and take out one cup cooked rice for burrito filling, and put the rest in storage container in the fridge or freezer for later use.

Make the filling: 

Sauté some veggies (whatever is at hand: diced carrots, zucchini, ...)
Steam some Cauliflower Rice (I get it frozen in a bag. I follow the package directions in the microwave)
Rinse and drain one can of black beans
Combine: rice, veggies, cauliflower rice, black beans, prepared salsa  in a sauce pot and warm.
Measure out 2/3 cup servings, refrigerating unused portion for later meals.

Assemble the burrito

Shred some salad greens and toss with 1 Tsp of lime or lemon juice. 
Prepare some avocado (or guacamole if you wish)
Warm tortillas in microwave for 10 seconds. 
For each tortilla:

  •  apply 1 Tbs plain Yogurt (or sour cream, or hummas, or ...)
  •  some of the shredded lettuce
  •  some avocado
  •  2/3 cup of the filling (adjust  if you like smaller burritos)

Another Example:


Shredded chuck roast, low fat yogurt, rice & quinoa cooked in chicken stock, salsa, black beens, zucchini, carrots, hot sauce. Served with a side of grilled asparagus. 



No comments:

Post a Comment