Sunday, March 24, 2013

Tromboncino squash

I still have (well, had) two tromboncino squash fruits from last fall's harvest.

I have been impressed by how well they have kept over the winter. I just had them set on a shelf in the basement. I've had a couple of them develop a little bad spot at the end that then starts to rot. Once I cut that part off the rest is in good shape.

The easiest way I have found to prep them is to peel with a potato peeler (in two passes, one for the rind, one for whatever fibrous stuff is left behind in the first pass).
First cut off the very ends, then separate the bulbous part from the neck. Peel each part. Cut the bulbous part in half and remove the seeds. If they are in good shape you can remove the pulp from the seeds, toast them in the oven until dry and give them to the chickens.

For the meat of the squash, hack into gobbits, toss with olive oil, and roasting salt. Roast at 425, turning every 10 minutes until done. About 30-40 minutes.

Once they cool. Use or store in the freezer for later use. I prefer many smaller containers so I have one recipes use available. You could also freeze on a silicone mat on the tray then put them in a ziplock if you want them to not freeze into a solid block.

I like to do this kind of cooking while I am cooking something else. In this case, I had the oven warm from roasting some carrots for the turkey soup. This was a great activity while the soup was simmering and getting eaten.

When harvested last fall
I am definitely planting more of these this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment