Friday, March 15, 2013

Ham and cheese potato pancakes

I have a steady stream of potatoes coming in from our CSA so we cooked up our backlog into mashed potatoes. I have been trying to come up with some new ways to incorporate them into other meals as an ingredient.

Today's experiment: potato pancakes with ham, cheese, and leeks.


I made up a batter of:
  • 1/2 cup mashed potatoes
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup almond meal
  • 2 eggs
  • enough flour to get a good consistency
  • roasting salt (or salt + pepper) to taste
  • To which I added chopped ham, chopped cheddar cheese, 1 chopped sautĆ©ed leek


Cook in a hot, greased skillet, turning once lightly browned. They are a little delicate to flip so I found I had to use a long turner.


They ended up something of a hybrid between a scrambled denver omelette, a pancake and a baked potato with ham and cheese. Made 6 hearty pancakes.

Next Time: I might try them without the flour and either less milk or more potato.

2 comments:

  1. Ham and cheese potato pancakes...ok, I'm drooling now. Another link to send to my husband!

    ReplyDelete