Friday, March 22, 2013

Caramel Popcorn

One more go at caramel popcorn. This time I stayed pretty close to the original recipe, except for adding slivered almonds to the caramel right before the pour. No chocolate. No bacon. Just wanted to get a simple baseline.



Assemble the ingredients:
  • 2 Cups brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup corn syrup
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 tsp baking soda (added at the end of the caramel making)
  • 8 cups popped pop corn


Put first four ingredients in pan, heat and stir.


Boil 5 minutes

Add baking soda.

Add nuts if so inclined and pour over popcorn. Stir and "bake" at 200 degrees for an hour. Stirring every 15 minutes.

Sampling as required for quality control.

Sharon's verdict: better with chocolate.

I concur.

Next Time: With chocolate (added right at the end after it is done in the oven).

I am also interested in experimenting some with the caramel. What could I use in place of the corn syrup? Honey? Molasses? Agave syrup? Pomegranate syrup?

1 comment:

  1. I was just making another batch and I realized I could try half butter, half bacon drippings. Of course I realized this right after mixing the stuff together. Next time!

    ReplyDelete