Monday, July 8, 2013

Apple Bacon German Pancake

Another take on one of my favorite breakfast foods, the german pancake, but this time with bacon!



Fry up some apples in butter and brown sugar.

Once they are nicely brown and delicious, add some chopped frozen cooked bacon. (I always have bacon on hand in the freezer.) Warm.

Meanwhile, preheat oven to 500 degrees, or in this case I use my micro-convection oven in convection oven mode preheated as high as it will go: 450 degrees. In any case, we will bake at 425, the extra heat is just to goose things along at the start.
If I am going to do other cooking, I'll use the big Blue Star, but the micro-convection preheats faster and with its rotating elevated tray, does a really fine job without heating up the kitchen.
I use the recipe from The Best Recipe as my starting point. The batter is 2 eggs, 3/4 cup half and half, 1 tsp vanilla, 1 Tbs sugar, 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 tsp salt. Bake at 425 for 16-17 minutes.

Run around the outside with a knife to release. Then cover with a plate and carefully flip. There is molten hot syrup inside -- do not burn yourself.

The recipe can be adapted easily to be gluten free using whatever flour substitute you like. I have used almond meal with success. I have even left out the flour entirely.

No comments:

Post a Comment