Monday, July 1, 2013

Strawberry shortcake

A friend gave me a copy of Alton Browns cookbook: Good Eats, The Early Years. I have been working my way through it. And since I had some strawberries on hand that needed to be eaten, what better than to try my hand at strawberry shortcake.
12ouncesflour
4tsp.baking powder
1/4tsp.baking soda
2ouncessugar
3/4tsp.salt
1ouncesbutter
2ouncesshortening
1cupyogurtfull fat plain
Macerated strawberries
whipped creamomitted, in this case


Chill shortening. Sift together dry ingredients. Cut in butter with your fingers. Make a well and .... Well I was out of half and half, I used yogurt. To get what seemed like the right consistency I needed to add a little extra yogurt. Mix with a few strokes of a big spoon.
I used my big scoop to put them on a cookie sheet.
Baste with melted butter.
Sprinkle with a little sugar and finish baking.
Top shortcake with macerated strawberries and serve.
Mischief the dragon looks forward to some strawberry shortcake!

6 comments:

  1. What, no whipped cream? Essential part of strawberry shortcake missing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't know why I don't use whipped cream more often.
      Maybe I need to start buying cream by the quart instead of the pint.

      Delete
  2. What did the yogurt do for the flavor and texture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to try again with half and half.
      They ended up a little on the dense/moist side of things.
      I don't know if that was due to the yogurt though.

      Delete
  3. I use yogurt when making scones because they help keep them moist. So glad you are enjoying the cookbook!, :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the validation on the yogurt usage. I'll try it in scones (if I am ever out of whey).

      The cookbook is fantastic. I love the books the emphasize the science and technique and are not just "black box" recipe delivered as canonical received wisdom.

      Delete