Friday, July 5, 2013

Fruit juice gelatin from scratch

There's always room for jello, or in this case, fruit juice gelatin.

Bloom  2 packets of gelatin (I use Knox) in 1/2 cup cold water.
Heat 3-4 cups juice to near boiling.
Add bloomed gelatin and 1-2 Tbs lemon juice.
Cool to near room temperature (could put over ice or cool water to speed it along).
Add fruit.
Refrigerate until set.

I use 3 cups of juice for a firm gelatin. More juice would result in a softer set.


Next time

I have been reading in The Joy of Cooking about gelatin, and want to experiment with ways of exposing the juice to less heat. I am going to try just heating a cup of juice to dissolve the gelatin then add that mixture to warm or room temperature juice. This is also where I learned to add the fruit later. You can even start the setting process and add the fruit when the gelatin comes off a spoon in sheets but hasn't fully set.

You could add sugar to the liquid as it is heating, but I don't find it needs it. Start with good juice and whatever fruit you think would complement it (except raw pineapple which need to be poached first or it will inhibit the setting up).

This is so easy and makes such a great summer snack, that I have taken to pretty much always having some on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment