Monday, February 18, 2013

Caramel Popcorn

I like caramel popcorn.
I like making caramel.

Hmm.

Time to make caramel popcorn.

My first attempt was not quite on target, but still tasty. I added bacon and spanish peanuts.


Some lessons:
  • Make the popcorn first (before the caramel)
  • Try to remove un-popped kernels before mixing in the caramel
  • Brown sugar does not caramelize the same as white sugar

It was interesting to see the recipe call for baking soda. I assume that lightens up the caramel. I added cooked bacon before the low-temperature baking, added a nice note, but ended up a little over-cooked.

Next time, I'd add the bacon at or near the end. Maybe to individual servings so the leftovers would be more shelf-stable.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds pretty fabulous. I mean, bacon and caramel and some other stuff - what could be bad about that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think there is more exploration called for in the whole bacon x caramel space.

    ReplyDelete