Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Vegetable Shepherd's Pie

Sharon found me a nice recipe for Shepherd's Pie at Cooking For Engineers. Evidently it originates in the Joy of Cooking. I have made this a couple times in the traditional form -- with ground beef. Today I wanted to keep the form of the dish but make it vegetarian. So in place of the beef I thought I would use roast squash, apples, nuts, and maybe some cooked greens. What could happen?!



I have ample potatoes so I started by making extra that we will just keep as mashed potatoes.

I thought I was going to be all artsy and make the topping purple. And that I did. Unfortunately, with all the squash in the filling I got a really unsettling contrast of orange and purple. Not the effect I was going for. Tasted fine, just looked strange.


Next, cut up celery (or in this case celery root), carrots and onion.

1 Tbs flour, 1 tsp each of : dried rosemary, thyme, 1 cup of broth, and 1 pound of roasted veggies.


No comments:

Post a Comment