Sunday, February 3, 2013

Purple carrots

Purple through and through. 
Our CSA basket included some carrots of various colors:
Part of this week's CSA basket

Featuring purple food
Sharon and I are big fans of "purple food", but so often purple veggies only have the pigment skin deep. In this case the purple went all the way through. I was so excited and I had to make a special salad just to show them off.



For the salad I built it as greens / grated hard cheese / grated purple carrot / toasted almond slivers. And then gave it a little dressing.

"It makes me think of Rome. The way the sun hits the buildings in the afternoon."
-Phil

2 comments:

  1. Very neat! We're thinking about growing some different rainbow varieties of carrots this year, including purple. Do they taste noticeably different from orange carrots?

    ReplyDelete
  2. > Do they taste noticeably different from orange carrots?
    Well, they taste more purply and less orangey.

    By which I mean they do taste a little different. I didn't do a blind tasting so it is difficult to know how much is expectation. But I did think they had some flavor notes that reminded me of beets and lacked some of the characteristic carrot notes. I still found it pleasant, though I do like beets.

    ReplyDelete