Thursday, February 21, 2013

Peach caramel sauce


What to do with the leftover peach juice syrup from home canned peaches?

Too good to toss. 
To thin to use directly in most cases. 

Often not wanted in the dish I was making that I needed the drained peaches for. 

The solution: reduce it until it caramelizes then (slowly) add some cream and get a lovely peach caramel sauce.

First, pour the juice/syrup into a pan.
(Hang on to the cream, we'll use that later.)

Put it over a goodly amount of heat (med-high to high).

Since you will have some reducing to do.

Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.
Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn, and caldron bubble. 

Now, we are getting some good reduction and caramelization.

Turn down the heat a little.
Slowly, add some cream a little at a time, stirring to incorporate as you go.

When you have the consistency you like, stop. Take it off the heat.

Pour over ice cream or into a container for later or grab a spoon ...
Cleaning up:
Now we are left with a messy pan.
Just as I did not want to waste the peach juice, I do not want to waste any of this flavory goodness.

So I deglazed the pan with some apple jack. The first time I did this, I deglazed with whole milk and ended up with fresh cheese and peachy buttermilk. Which was fun, but didn't get the pan very clean. The peach must be more acidic than the caramel made from straight sugar.

The apple jack did a nice job of cleaning the pan. A quick swipe with a nylon brush followed by a soapy sponge did the rest in a jiffy.

The deglazed sauce was a little too rich as a beverage (though that didn't stop me). It would make a nice sauce for some pork chops or something.

This reminds me of the permaculture principle:
Produce no waste: By valuing and making use of all the resources that are available to us, nothing goes to waste.

2 comments:

  1. OH mai. I should just tell my husband to bookmark your blog, because I've certainly been sending him a lot of links to here lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the enthusiasm!
    Now that I am making all this caramel I need to figure out more uses for it.
    I've been putting a little in my smoothies lately.
    Had some on chocolate shortbread tonight.

    ReplyDelete